Many product companies struggle with a big challenge: how to identify a Minimal Viable Product that will let them quickly validate their product hypothesis? Teams that share the product vision and agree on priorities for features are able to move faster and more effectively.

In this group, we would like to discuss how to effectively come up with an evolutionary roadmap for your product, how to collaborate on the vision of the product and create a Product Backlog, a User Story map and a pragmatic Release Plan.

Using Acceptance Criteria to Flush out Story Maps

Tagged: 

2 replies, 2 voices Last updated by Profile photo of ShriKant Vashishtha ShriKant Vashishtha 2 years, 3 months ago
  • Author
    Profile photo of Naresh Jain
    Naresh Jain
    Keymaster
    @naresh-jain

When facilitating a story mapping session, I’ve found using acceptance criteria at each level of the story map (user goals, activity, user-tasks, epics and stories) every useful to flush out the next level.

Let’s assume we are building a platform for adventure sports enthusiasts.

For one of our personas, Julian (technology savvy, software engineer with a large MNC and in his 20’s): one of his activity would be “to find unique adventure sport close-by within his budget”.

To be able to achieve this activity, what would Julian have to do? How would we know Julian was actually able to achieve this activity? These questions would help us flush out the user-tasks under that activity. Similarly, once we have the user-tasks, then we would be able to look for acceptance criteria at each user-task level to flush out the epics.

I’m curious to know what other techniques have you used to flush out the story map?

Profile photo of ShriKant Vashishtha
    ShriKant Vashishtha
    Participant
    @shrikantvashishtha

For this purpose we tried using process maps. Process maps helps in identifying the entire user-flow containing any non-technical step as well. One can share the process maps to the stakeholders as well to ensure if everybody is on the same page on the solution in general before moving towards story mapping. Story map however doesn’t tell you that in what sequence the mapped user-stories will be used by a user. That sequence is depicted through process map and you can put the identified user-stories through story mapping on process maps (http://www.agilebuddha.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/process-map.png). That way you get to know how the user-stories are used in a given user sequence.

Take a look at a blog I wrote a while back on this concept. Let me know if that helps. http://www.agilebuddha.com/agile/story-mapping-andvs-process-maps/.

Profile photo of ShriKant Vashishtha
    ShriKant Vashishtha
    Participant
    @shrikantvashishtha

By the way editing in the forum is a pain. Not sure how to begin new paragraph.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.